FieldCrumpets Talk Forum Index FieldCrumpets Talk
Everything there is to talk about Field Crumpets (And then some)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Receiving Passes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FieldCrumpets.com -> FieldCrumpets Talk Forum Index -> Strategy & Gameplay
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sumobob2

Crumpet Stick: Chuck
First Played: 1996

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Receiving Passes Reply with quote

I was just wanting to find out what people think about some things.

There are a variety of ways that people use in crumpets to indicate where they are on the field or that they are open to receive a pass. There are big advantages to this, and some disadvantages as well.

First, it lets your ballhandling teammate know where you are (which is good, because they are likely focusing very much on Justin, Dan and Eric rushing them). It can let them make no-look passes with some degree of confidence that you'll be there, or it lets them know if they should try to push on or which direction they can go, all sorts of things.

The disadvantage is obviously that it lets your opponents know where you are. It can eliminate any chance of a surprise passing attack (Maybe Justin stops rushing, leaving Dan and Eric to rush).

I just want to know how people weigh those two things against each other. Also, how do you think it's best to alert the person? Some people say just a syllable (ie "hip") while others give more precise directions (ie "back to the middle"). As a receiver, what advantages/disadvantages are there to each? And, as a ballhandler, which one is easier to respond to? Or is it all the same, and we're still pretty much randomly hitting a ball around a field hoping our teammates are near it?
SombraAla
Site Admin

Crumpet Stick: Muramasa
First Played: 1998

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I am the master hipster I obviously like the 'hip' approach.

I do agree that sometimes saying something equivalent to 'I'm open' is an indicator to an opponent as well as a teammate that you are in fact open for a pass. Obviously if the pass isn't sent immediately then the defense can recover and even have the added benefit of knowing who it is and where they have to go to cover everybody.

For this reason, there are particular times that one should indicate they are available (and not just in the dating sense either). The first 'rule' might be that you definitely should only raise an alert if you believe your teammate does not know where you are at. If they're looking at you, just recieved the crumpet from you, etc... then you're not going to be telling them anything. Likewise, if you _were_ in a place and are no longer there and you expect them to possibly pass it to your previous location, alerting your teammate of the change is a good idea - but rarely happens anyways.

The next 'rule' might be that you don't need to signal your teammate if they don't need any help. This one's pretty obvious but probably more important in terms of 'rebound' situations where a teammate shoots and that shot gets blocked. If you were telling everyone you're open, you're probably no longer open, but if you had kept quiet, you might still be able to pounce on a loose crumpet... or at least try to hit it with your crumpet stick.

Probably my favorite use of the alerting of teammates is to actually cause problems for the opponents themselves. In this case I'm actually trying to get both my teammate AND my opponent to hear me so that they can both make a decision. Often times this will be helpful in 2 v 1 situations or 2 v 1 + 1 (with goalie on defense). What I want to have happen is either have the defender rotate to me leaving my teammate open or to stay with them and let my teammate pass it to me. The important aspects of this manuever stem from the fact that in order to make the opponent choose between us, we have to be significantly far enough away from each other. If I'm only 5 or 10 feet away then the defender would be able to recover to easily if I were passed the crumpet. Even so, often times I may indicate I'm open when I am 'too close' and then attempt to create seperation afterwards. If my teammate is on the same page as me, they will also try to create seperation between him/her and me, which is especially useful since the opponent might start taking me into consideration allowing for my teammate to get into a good open position easier.

Obviously if we wait around and don't move for a time, someone else will come and guard me (unless it is really a 2 v 1 game, in which case if you're resorting to constant and/or unrelenting 'monkey in the middle' tactics against the single person then that's kinda un-nice) and that's the end of that... so usually this is effective on break-aways and the like.

One of the most important things that someone who has called for the crumpet needs to do is ensure that they are doing the best they can to leave an open lane between him/her and the ball handler. Basically the person should move in almost any direction possible to keep the passing lane as large and uncrowded as possible. Calling for the crumpet and then standing there while the Chinese build a wall between you and the ball handler (and then complaining that 'you were open when you called for it') isn't good enough. Obviously your opponents now know to look out for you, but if you move correctly, they won't be able to recover for a few seconds. If you just stand there, chances are you'll be covered rather quickly.

Lastly, I personally am a large proponent of 'space' especially when the games are larger and have more people. Often times I will simply stand where there is nobody else at all, even if there is no possible way for the crumpet to get to me in one pass. The trick is, however, that usually two good passes can get to almost all of the field, so you are always a pass away from being a potential target. Passes occur quickly, so getting open at the time that you become a potential target is too late - you should be a potential target as soon as any teammate recieves the crumpet. The other point of this is that you don't always have to be within passing range... it's ok to play two passes away... mostly because this opens up the field, gives everyone on your team a better chance at being open and gives you a better chance of being open after they get the crumpet. This is a little off topic but I still think it's important.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SombraAla
Site Admin

Crumpet Stick: Muramasa
First Played: 1998

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and to pre-empt Mel - I write too much
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
melruth

Crumpet Stick: Brick
First Played: August 19, 2003

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Greg!
jgramarye

Crumpet Stick: Heart of Gold (The Infinite Improbability Driver)
First Played: April, 2004

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to say a single word when calling for the ball (which admittedly doesn't happen all that much, playing defense), like "back" or "left". Yes, it alerts the opposition too, but if you're moving, then it's less of an issue.

I don't like the "hip"s and "hup"s because it's a static picture, and doesn't tell you anything about where someone will be in two or five seconds, whereas giving a direction when you start moving gives the ball-handler a clue, but the defenders still have to run to catch up and cut you off.
ku packman

Crumpet Stick: CrumPOW Jr.!
First Played: 2000

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find myself calling out when on fast breaks, usually when someone else has the ball. Most of the time, I call out "center" because my teammate will be attacking up the sidelines and I'll streak down the middle. Sometimes, if they advance too far in the corner, I'll say "back", usually if I'm in a prime position to take a shot.

Also (and I do this in Ultimate, too), I'll say "no" if I'm not in a position to receive the ball. I oftentimes use this with newbies, because they'll try to get the ball to me, but seasoned defenders know that it's coming, and will bait the ball handler to attempt a pass.
Sumobob2

Crumpet Stick: Chuck
First Played: 1996

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point on the "no". As a defender, if I have time to do it, I will often place myself just far enough away from someone so that they look open, or just far enough away so it looks like I'm lost in the fray and not paying attention. Then I'll cross my fingers and HOPE that the person with the ball tries to get it to that person I'm watching. I'd never thought about alerting the ball-handler to that if I was the one being covered in such a manner, though.
melruth

Crumpet Stick: Brick
First Played: August 19, 2003

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say "hip" and "hup" because I don't know my lefts and rights.

Just like my third graders.

Actually, it depends on my mood. I like hearing Greg's "hip" b/c I don't have to think as to where "back" is or "front" or "center" or "right" or "left"...I just hit the crumpet in the direction of the "hip". Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.
dflynn08

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think calling for a pass is usefull in two ways. First, when I call for a pass I try to call it for where I'm going to be in the next 2-3 seconds, not necessarily where I am at that point. Secondly, what I tend to do more often than not is call out to make my teamate aware that I'm available for help if they need it. I do not want to be seen as a glory seeking ball hogger, therefore if you have a shot to take it, but if you need help, then you know that I'm there. I do this most often on odd man rushes, ie 2-1, 3-1, 3-2 rushes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FieldCrumpets Talk Forum Index -> Strategy & Gameplay All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: