FieldCrumpets Talk Forum Index FieldCrumpets Talk
Everything there is to talk about Field Crumpets (And then some)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New site 'template'?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FieldCrumpets.com -> FieldCrumpets Talk Forum Index -> FieldCrumpets.com / Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you like it?
I like it alot! Wouldn't change a thing.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
It's headed the right direction, but could use work.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The current site is better, perhaps incorporate a few ideas from this design into the current one.
100%
 100%  [ 3 ]
The current site is perfect! Doesn't need to be changed at all.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't think the new design or the current site is what I really would like to see.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

SombraAla
Site Admin

Crumpet Stick: Muramasa
First Played: 1998

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: New site 'template'? Reply with quote

Ok, this is just a suggestion for a possible new site template. I'd like to hear what your thoughts on it and whether or not I ought to try to move over the site content to this design or not. As always, suggestions are encouraged and all types of criticism.

My thoughts on a redesign

It's obviously still under development, and I would hope to use one of the new shields that were suggested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nedislacbi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's most important to keep the main page of the website friendly to first time viewers, who want to find out what field crumpets is all about. Sidebars and crossbars are fine for helping people get to find what they want as soon as possible, but I think the expanded descriptions and pictures are a better presentation.
Tau

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since few leagues have active websites, instead of placing all the locations on a front page sidebar, perhaps location info could go on a separate page.

As a supplement or alternative, what do you think about having a map graphic to display field crumpet towns? I revised a US map that I drew a few years ago and added orange dots to mark the field crumpet locations. The map is here:
http://www.geocities.com/fakung/crumpetsmap.jpg
Potentially, it could either be a static image as it is now, or I could turn it into an imagemap (so that if you scroll over an orange dot, it could let you hyperlink somewhere).

Tau
Sumobob2

Crumpet Stick: Chuck
First Played: 1996

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might seem amateurish (from a web-design standpoint), but I think it needs pictures right there on the front. And maybe you're planning to put them in, but not in that particular sample. But your average person who comes to the site either 1) Already knows about crumpets, enjoys playing, and will probably come back regardless of the look of the page; 2) Accidentally found the page while looking for some sort of "Tea and Crumpets on the Crickett Field" web page and might decide to stick around if something really catches their eye; or 3) Had the site recommended to them (probably by us).

In the last two cases, they have no idea how the game works and I think it's vitally important that they get the feel for the concept from the front page. I agree with John that pictures are the best way to do that, followed closely by general descriptions (ie describing the game, but not trying to explain the rules up front).

My earlier comment (from several weeks ago) about the position of the announcement thing right there at the top of the front page is similar in intent. It's just one more thing that a first-time page viewer has to scroll past before seeing the pictures and descriptions. I like the announcement board (a lot), but maybe in a different location on the front page.
melruth

Crumpet Stick: Brick
First Played: August 19, 2003

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked out the new design, and it looks more "official." I like that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FieldCrumpets Talk Forum Index -> FieldCrumpets.com / Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: