FieldCrumpets Talk Forum Index FieldCrumpets Talk
Everything there is to talk about Field Crumpets (And then some)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Declining Footwear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FieldCrumpets.com -> FieldCrumpets Talk Forum Index -> Equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El Scriv

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Declining Footwear Reply with quote

Is there anyone else out there who prefers to play crumpets barefoot? I have decided to hereby dub this diminished level of equipment the "Free-Love" Style.
mad

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it once... It was the nose breaking game. I just remember the grass was really dewy and my feet itching.
xcbandguy

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about barefeet, but one kid here plays in soccer cleats--very effective for agility, and for those occasions when he is goalie.
El Scriv

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes! Warn me before I play that guy

I go barefoot for the same reason though--you can get a surprising amount of traction in grass when you get used to gripping the ground with your toes.
jgramarye

Crumpet Stick: Heart of Gold (The Infinite Improbability Driver)
First Played: April, 2004

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm the only one here at KU who plays "Free-Love" style. Last summer I played ultimate frisbee, and after the first few days I took my shoes off. There was one other guy there already playing commando, and once I followed suit I was amazed at the difference in traction. I've never had any problems to speak of with getting stepped on (yeah, I get stepped on, but it doesn't hurt anywhere near as much as you would think), but I've never played with anyone who wears cleats.
The only problem is building up sufficient calluses. By the time I started playing barefoot last year, it was late enough in the summer that I already had them, but it took about a month before I stopped blistering this year.
SombraAla
Site Admin

Crumpet Stick: Muramasa
First Played: 1998

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went barefoot for the first time on Tuesday. I enjoyed it a lot - didn't really notice a difference in traction but it just was pretty fun to play with.

I did stub my toe a few times on the ground, and I wasn't very inclined to kick the crumpet... what do you all feel about these two aspects of going without shoes?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jgramarye

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only really been having problems with stubbage the last two weeks, and this past week may just have been because I hadn't fully recovered from the previous week.
As for kicking, I don't see that it makes a difference. It's not like we're playing with a soccer ball that's really solid and will hurt to kick.
And I think the difference in traction for me playing is more due to my shitty sneakers than anything else.

Justin
Rob

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like crumpets barefoot, but I don't like anything barefoot. Maybe because we played in what feels like the dryest field on earth, but I do enough damage to myself without having to worry about ruining my feet every time I go to play. Also, I live in perpetual fear of stepping in things, ranging from the unpleasant (people don't leash their pets enough) to the downright dangerous and rusty. I'll deal with a little less traction (god knows I spend more time on the ground than on my feet anyway) if it means I walk away with both feet intact.
jgramarye

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Condition of the playing field is definitely a good point. Later in the summer, our field, which is currently a pretty lush green, will deteriorate to a dry, patchy brown, but that didn't prevent me from running around barefoot last summer playing ultimate frisbee. I was a bit paranoid initially about debris on the field that would potentially tear my feet up, but there was a lot more visibility then, as a result of the reduced grass coverage, and nothing ever appeared. At this point I'm just generally more confident about the groundskeeping on that particular field, but I'd be wary again about playing anywhere else.

Justin
megamanemery

Crumpet Stick: black suit
First Played: 5/23/06

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in poulsbo,washington crumpents was introduced about a year ago but has gained momentum in the past year. we have a good 20-30 people show up 2 days a week. you cant wear shoes if you plaay with us. it evens the playing field.
Sumobob2

Crumpet Stick: Chuck
First Played: 1996

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice! I like it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FieldCrumpets Talk Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: