FieldCrumpets Talk Forum Index FieldCrumpets Talk
Everything there is to talk about Field Crumpets (And then some)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rules omission

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FieldCrumpets.com -> FieldCrumpets Talk Forum Index -> Rule Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melruth

Crumpet Stick: Brick
First Played: August 19, 2003

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Rules omission Reply with quote

I just made an amazing discovery...I read through the entire Official Crumpets Rules and realised that stick throwing is not mentioned in them. So, I'll try to get those in as soon as possible.

In the meantime, for those who don't know the rules, you can throw your stick in an attempt to interfere with the ball. The target of the throw needs to be the ball (in other words, it's an illegal throw if it has zero chance of hitting the ball). The throw also needs to be either underhand or sidearm, except in the case of a goalie (and only a goalie) trying to throw the stick into the air to knock down a high shot.

Thanks,

robbie
SombraAla
Site Admin

Crumpet Stick: Muramasa
First Played: 1998

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additionally, throwing a stick (sidearm or underhand) needs to stay 'down'. If you throw a stick and it hits a player above the waist then that can result in a free shot on goal, but this is decided upon by the player who is hit. There are questions around what should happen if someone gets hit above the waist while sliding, etc.... but really you just have to take a step back and look at the rule for it's intent: Just don't throw your stick if you're going to hurt someone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ku packman

Crumpet Stick: CrumPOW Jr.!
First Played: 2000

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SombraAla wrote:
Just don't throw your stick if you're going to hurt someone.

If I'm going to hurt somebody, should I just use my fists then? Or maybe a pineapple.
SombraAla
Site Admin

Crumpet Stick: Muramasa
First Played: 1998

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ku packman wrote:
SombraAla wrote:
Just don't throw your stick if you're going to hurt someone.

If I'm going to hurt somebody, should I just use my fists then? Or maybe a pineapple.

The point is, throwing sticks is inheriantly more dangerous than other aspects of the game so therefore giving it special consideration is worth noting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sumobob2

Crumpet Stick: Chuck
First Played: 1996

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps the official rules should include pineapples as a vehicle for vengeance. You can throw them, but only overhand. If you knock someone out by throwing a pineapple at them your team gets a point.
Tau

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all, I just wanted to check on two things:

1. Have goalies always been allowed to throw crumpet sticks above ground-angle? While I was in college and trying to ferry rules across time zones, I remember some discussion about this, and I thought that such a toss was illegal even for goalies? I might have been mistaken though.

2. Do any nuances of the throw rule merit a vote? For example, NY also prohibits sidearms (heehee), and I think Montana doesn't throw at all.

Since it wasn't in the AFCL rules, I had drafted a rule for NY back in the day, and if you are curious it is at https://fieldcrumpets.com/newyork/crumpetsrules.html

DC is still in the recruiting phase, so you can skip us if there's a vote on anything.

-Tau

PS. I'll see if I can get Zach or someone to keep up with this message board for NY. Sorry for the delay on that. They are still very active.
Sumobob2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'd say the rule has always been "we turn a blind eye on goalies doing above level throws as long as nobody's nearby". It used to happen more than it does now, because we've expanded the field. When people used to hit it high and through the goals on the serves on a regular basis, it wasn't uncommon for the goalie to wing one straight up in the air to try to block it. Every now and again it was successful.

It's never been allowed for goalies to throw overhand towards the field of play. Only straight up.
megamanemery

Crumpet Stick: black suit
First Played: 5/23/06

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we dont throw at all...it was over used and became dangerous
Sumobob2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend at least beginning with a strict rule about only underhand throwing. I've never seen an underhand throw hurt someone (can't get enough oomph on it and they tend to stay low). We have quite a bit of throwing as well, but if everyone's doing underhand, it still shouldn't be dangerous.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FieldCrumpets Talk Forum Index -> Rule Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: